Home Care in Sewickley PA
As a family caregiver you know that your elderly loved one faces risks to their health and well-being as they age. Understanding these risks and knowing what you can do to reduce them and help your parent cope with them should they arise is an important part of protecting your senior and giving them the highest quality of life possible throughout their later years. One of the most pressing risks that older people face is arthritis. There are many misconceptions about this condition and knowing the details can help you to not allow those misconceptions to guide your care so that you can be sure you are helping your senior in the way that is best for them.
What you should know about arthritis includes:
- By the age of 85 years, nearly 50 percent of older adults throughout the United States will develop osteoarthritis in their knee
- Obesity dramatically increases the risk of developing arthritis
- Approximately two in three obese people throughout the United States will develop arthritis at some point in their lives
- By the age of 85 years, approximately one in four older adults throughout the United States will develop arthritis in their hip
- The most common form of arthritis suffered is osteoarthritis
- There are more than 100 types of conditions and diseases referred to as “arthritis”
- Some of the other types of arthritis that are common include rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and fibromyalgia
- Approximately 30.8 million adults throughout the United States are currently suffering from osteoarthritis
- Each year approximately 1.5 million adults suffer from rheumatoid arthritis
- Prevalence of gout that has been officially diagnosed by a doctor is just under 4 percent
- This number accounts for 8.3 million people throughout the country
- Each year approximately 5 million adults suffer from fibromyalgia
- Just under 50 percent of older adults aged 64 and above report arthritis that has been diagnosed by a doctor
- Women are more likely to suffer from doctor-diagnosed arthritis than men
- A weight loss of as little as 11 pounds can reduce a woman’s risk of developing arthritis by 50 percent
Starting home care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for your loved one as they cope with arthritis. An elderly home care services provider is not just valuable because they can offer your loved one personalized physical assistance tailored to helping them address their mobility, pain, and stiffness challenges. This care provider can also give your loved one companionship and emotional support to help them cope with the difficult emotional and mental health challenges that can come along with suffering the frequent pain, stiffness, and loss of range of motion that come with arthritis. Through encouragement, nurturing, and supporting their efforts to stay active and engaged, this care provider can guide your loved one toward understanding their challenges and adapting their life to better cope with their struggle and still enjoy a high quality of life as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Home Care in Sewickley, PA, please contact the friendly staff at Liken Home Care. Call (412) 693-6820 or (855) 856-0551
Business Administration / Accounting Major
Has been in the staffing business since 1970.The original company LIKEN SERVICES, INC. was a general service staffing company specializing in the administrative, clerical, secretarial all office support staff positions (both temporary and direct hire) with 14 branch offices in and around W. PA and Upstate NY.As a division of that company, LIKEN HEALTH CARE, INC. was started in 1974 as a medical staffing company that staffed hospitals and other health care facilities.In 1976,we began to “follow the patients home” and at that point we started providing private duty home care. In 1995, the general staffing company was sold to a national, public company, and the health care staffing company was retained. Since 1995, we have concentrated our efforts in the health care marketplace.
Due to the aging baby boomers and the fact people are just living longer, in the late 90’s we refocused the company and today Liken specializesin providing private duty assisted living to those who need help to remain at home.A valuable service that allows an individual to remain independent in their homes for a much longer period of time as well as maintain a high level of quality of life.
Today, we specialize in providing private duty home care (Liken Home Care) to the elderly, the recovering ill, and the disabled in all of Western Pa.
In addition, Robert isCPC (Certified Personnel Consultant) and a CTS (Certified Temporary Staffing Specialist); professional designations of the National Association of Personnel Services.
Latest posts by Robert D. Liken CPC, CTS, President (see all)
- How to Help Your Bedridden Senior Get Comfortable - February 7, 2019
- What Should You Expect from Support Groups? - January 29, 2019
- Tips for Keeping Your Elderly Adult Warmer This Winter - January 24, 2019