Elderly Care in Fox Chapel PA
Warning signs for major medical problems vary and detection may come a lot later than it should. By taking advantage of preventative services, it could decrease symptoms in some medical problems and eradicate others. Either way, your elderly loved one’s life could tremendously benefit from preventative screenings and vaccines.
Preventative services are important to early detection to many serious medical condition, but according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), less than 50% of adults aged 65 years or older are up to date on these services leaving the elderly vulnerable.
The earlier a medical problem can be detected in your elderly loved one, the more effective treatment can be. Here are some important preventative services for seniors:
● Cholesterol: High cholesterol is a risk factor for heart disease and stroke. Men and women who may be at risk for coronary heart disease should be tested.
● Breast cancer: Because nearly half of all new breast cancer cases are in women who are at least 65 years old, women should have a mammogram every 2 years for breast cancer screening.
● Colorectal cancer: Two out of every 3 new colorectal cancer cases are in adults 65 years of age and older. Beginning at 50 years of age and continuing until 75 years of age, all adults should be screened for colorectal cancer. Your doctor will recommend the right type of screening test for you.
● Osteoporosis: A bone density test is recommended for women who are at least 65 years old as their risk of osteoporosis increases with age.
● Diabetes: Your loved one’s risk for diabetes increases with age, and is common in older adults. One risk factor that your loved one’s doctor or healthcare professional may look for is blood pressure that is higher than 135/80 mm Hg.
● Flu: It is recommended that seniors get this seasonal vaccine every year. According to familydoctor.org, about 85% of the deaths from influenza are in people 65 years of age or older.
● Pneumonia: This vaccine prevents the life-threatening complications that come with having pneumonia which are more likely in seniors.
Unfortunately, many elderly persons do not get the recommended vaccinations and health screenings, but these preventative services are key to keeping them healthy and improving their quality of life.
Your elderly loved one’s doctor or healthcare professional can recommended what preventative services are needed based on his or her age, medical history, family history and gender. Never get a vaccination without talking to your loved one’s doctor first.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elderly care services in Fox Chapel, PA, please contact the friendly staff at Liken Home Care. Call (412) 693-6820 or (855) 856-0551
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)